Friday 19 March 2010

Anodised saucer bullet planter



The anodised saucer shaped planter arrived early this week. I've been looking for an atomic shaped one like this for simply ages. This type is very hard to find in reasonable undinted condition and particularly for the paltry sum of $5.00.

Happiness is an unexpected bargain.

The pot which is a soft under-stated metallic green sits snugly on a black plastic coated metallic tripod stand.

Planters, jarnidieres and bullet planters are like the holy grail in my second-hand shopping endeavours. They are just so expensive, usually, and they are never quite right. My new find is a crowning moment.


image courtesy of mid century modernist

I ideally wanted something like the bullet planter but they don't seem to be available in Australia. These bullet planters are made of a fibre-glass construction and come in a variety of colours. They are very cute but also expensive if you include cartage to the Antipodes.

Now that I've got my anodised version, I think I like it better. It is so quintessentially Australian - just about everyone knew somebody whose groovy parent's had the anodised saucer living on the back patio (my parents weren't groovy).



image courtesy calyx flower

The big question is what should I plant in it? I spoke to my hard-core modernist friend, Susan, and she said a Spider plant (chlorophytum comosum) is the way to go because it would suit the saucer shape of the pot and it's a very hardy indoor plant.

What do you think? Or should I plant something else?

11 comments:

  1. love it so much. And I agree re plant selection Its just like being back in my groovy parents' house. Actually I may be a bit young to remember that. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is ultimate cool. i havent seen one of those ever, so either my folks were so not groovy, or we dont have those in canada. and you sure cant beat the price.
    shiny floors...
    ~laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another piece that is perfect for your unique home Amanda. I wonder how an agave would look?
    Enjoy your weekend:o)
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen anything like this and I like it a lot. The little shelf is as though it's intended for a candle to keep whatever is in the bowl gently warm. But if it's a planter, I must have got that totally wrong. Yes, a spider plant would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree with Susan on the plant. A plant that is too rigid like a yukka would be too sharp for the shape of the planter, but anything too florally would be too fussy for the style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My folks weren't groovy either... And neither are any of my french friends over here! Cool object. As to what to plant in it...Lavender? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You gotta go with Susan. What do we know? Plus, spider plants are hardy. You can't kill them if you try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cannot give you advice on the plant, as I am not so much of a gardener, but the planter sure looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fab planter! Very groovy. What would Judy Jetson plant in it? Hmmm....spider plant could be just the thing as your friend suggested. Have fun with it...and show us the results :) Meredy xo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes indeed, I remember that exact same planter at my mum and dad's place! It was burnt orange and I think it even had that exact same plant that your were thinking of planting!

    Good choice!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I occasionally do a google search on bullet planters because I make the ones you reference and your blog came up. I hope someday to have an Australian distributor, but so far no takers.

    I've never seen one of these anodized ones either so they must have been an Australian product. Very cool! I'm saving this for design inspiration.

    Thanks for posting!

    -Kelley at www.hiphaven.com

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails