Sunday 22 August 2010

Herbs in a concrete laundry tub


Herbs in a concrete laundry tub planter

I received lots of good advice regarding what to do with our three section concrete laundry tub. I followed the herb path, because it seemed to be the most practical option, since I cook with herbs regularly.

Some readers said to drill drainage holes in the tub, but there was already a drain hole in each separate section. I'm crossing my fingers that this will be sufficient. There was an old tree root blocking the holes, so that was removed with much pulling and tugging.

I then placed a wooden block under each end of the tub to keep it off the ground and to make sure it drained well. And it did when I filled the tub with water. But then I had to have a Nana nap because that tub is incredibly heavy to lift.

One commenter suggested I fill the tub part way with broken pieces of styrofoam, followed by a thick layer of wet newspaper and then my potting mix. (Thanks Shelly!) This should help with drainage too.

A few readers said I shouldn't bother painting the tub. I followed this advice gladly -  it appeals to my lazy side!

This morning I bought a selection of herbs from the Rocklea Markets: basil, coriander, mint, chilli, sage and parsley. The whole lot cost a paltry $5 and will be enough to get me started.

While at the markets, I scouted around for some screening plants for our side yard. I'm advised from reliable thrifty sources that this is the place to go for affordable established screening plants. And they were correct.

Anyhow, the new herbs have been planted, watered and now we wait to see if the recipe is good enough for them to grow.

15 comments:

  1. Hi, love the tub with the herbs. Just a little tip. Basil doesn't like to share a pot. It will be much more prolific if you give it one section of it's own. An elderly Italian gardener told me that is why I had lousy results with my basil for years. Since changing that, I get a bumper crop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have an abundance of herbs in no time. Well done looks like a great spot. Love Rocklea Markets for plants and flowers on Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your decision for the concrete planter! The herbs already look at home. I never knew about basil needing its own space as Razmataz had mentioned.
    Can't wait to see continuing pictures of your concrete herb garden!

    XO,
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I can see oregano, mint?, basil, coriander and sage - that's a good start!

    I didn't know about the basil either -I do know everyone says mint ramps but that hasn't been my experience - I think all herbs have a mind of their own!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you're keeping the tub. After you first wrote about this, I later had a thought - that I didn't get around to sharing - that without adding add'l drainage holes you might consider bog plants, like horsetail.

    But I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!! I think it looks great and it will be nice to pick your own herbs. I have never had much luck with coriander, it seems to go to seed quickly and it is annoying because it is my fav...Wasn't it a lovely weekend weather wise. Did you get any other treasures at the markets? I havn't been in so long, cheers Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. The herbs look great in the old tubs, perfect for herbs and I am sure they will do well for you. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! My sister has done the same thing with the original old tub from her queenslander, and it works really well. You'll have a bumper crop in no time. K xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. $5 for all of those - wow! I need to spruce up my herb pots as I let them dry out too much last summer. I bet yours will do really very well in their new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great value! Look forward to the after shots...the ones where the herbs are spilling out over the tub, and then the ones we've they've been used in the cooking. I've found that coriander grows best in a bit of a shadier spot so it doesn't go to seed so quickly, but I really hope it works there with the others..best herb ever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect! We had to cut the mint back in our herb planter several times this summer because it just grew out of control and kept crowding all its other little herb friends, but I do like having it on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great idea to reuse that concrete tub. The concrete will look great with the abundance of herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect use! They look great and better spacing than mine..I can't get basil here yet, too cold...I've had to cover the ones I've planted before we get a nice hit of frost on Sunday morning. Shows how much I know about gardening! Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks great. Look forward to seeing how well the herbs grow

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good job!..It does not only save money but the environment as well!

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails