Monday 18 November 2013

In the jungle...

Looking at our garden bed in the backyard you would be forgiven if you thought there was a lion sleeping there tonight. Wimoweh...wimoweh...

overgrown side garden bed

I'm not joking: sometime in the past two years we've just let this part of the garden go wild. There's vines, there's tree seedlings growing which we know we did not plant and so many weeds. It actually doesn't look so bad in the photos but when you see it in real life, it's a mish mash of overgrowing neglect. (Anyone want some random loquat plants?)

Another angle of the neglected overgrown garden
Over the next few weeks we will be steadily weeding it out, removing the unwanted trees and just giving it a general old tidy up. It's a cheap and easy project while we're in between renovation projects...We really ought to have done more on the garden these past four years.

Mulched side yard and a pile of rubbish for the tip

We've mulched in around the little cubby house, as there are a few established Murrayas screening a wire fence that we would like to encourage to grow.

And the best part of all this mulching is that over the past week we've had steady rain. The rainwater tank is filling up and all our plants are singing songs of praise!

I'll keep you updated with our garden progress.

10 comments:

  1. WOW! I love the way it looks. But I love gardens that look like they go on forever with lots of foliage
    Still, you gotta do what ya gotta do...the bit that you've mulched looks pretty good too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see your garden grow, especially with all this rain. The side that you've let go actually looks quite lush. The mulched area looks fabulous too. Will you let the murrayas grow as they will or will you hedge them? There's something satisfying in a hedge. Though I'm looking forward to having a garden so I can go crazy with natives and bark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I love your Queensland garden in all its tropical and lush glory. We have ourselves a jungle down here too but more of the dry, grassy, weedy thistle variety. Looking forward to more of your garden updates :-) Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great - now I'm going to be walking around all day going "doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo, a wee-ooh Wimba Way... :-)
    Cheers, Col

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what you leave and what you dig out/cut back. Gardening gives me a real sense of satisfaction, and I get that vicariously too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know everything about garden neglect.... I love the planning and planting, but the upkeep is so boring. If you call your garden neglected, you should have seen mine at the moment:-) I think yours looks wonderful, lush and tropical, complements your house perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it looks good! but looking forward to the transformation too x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing wrong with a bit of jungle. I am married to an avid pruner. He cannot have a lie down on the week end but will happily denude an area of yard to pass time. The mulchy bit does look pretty though. Reminds me I need to mulch the chooks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are in landscape mode too, I do love a good weeding session, very cathartic! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your rambling overgrown garden, ours is a compacted mud pit since the reno. Hopefully the grass will start to come back with all this rain before I have a whole bunch of five year old girls pretending they are peppa pig! mel x

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails