Monday 23 December 2013

Hula hooping through Christmas

We've downed tools for the past couple of weeks - we're planning our next lot of projects for the Sow's Ear in 2014 and we hope to let you know what we have planned in the New Year. It's been rather nice not to feel pressure to do anything on the Sow's Ear and we've just been enjoying an easy and fun life...

What fun! At the tender age of 40, I am in possession of my first ever hula hoop. Talk about making amends for a deprived 'hula hoop-less' childhood.


And I am hula hooping like there is no tomorrow...mostly as I am not terribly good and I am determined to be able to keep that damn hoop up for more than a few measly rotations!

We were at a friend's house for Christmas drinks when I got my hula hoop.
Yes, I was drink hula hooping...
Next year I am planning on doing a hula hoop class with some friends, just for fun and fitness (apparently hula hooping is good for your core strength and abdominal muscles). In the meantime I am practising for about 10 minutes every day...and fortunately it is paying some dividends as there have been some improvements. The hoop is staying up longer but it's hardly anything to crow about. My waist is also bruised from all the practising...ouch!

The very sad thing is Son #1 who has never 'hula hooped' is a complete natural and can whip my arse in a 'hula-off'. We've been having hula duels since I received my new hoop and he's won every one! I have to say, it sucks being beaten by a kid...

So, this Christmas I'm going all out to perfect the art of hula hooping in between mouthfuls of turkey and plum pudding and planning the next lot of renovations to the Sow's Ear.

Can you hula hoop?


10 comments:

  1. If it galls you to be beat by a kid, then you probably don't want to watch a video I posted a couple of years ago of a girl who can keep 305 hula hoops going for 22 seconds...but I'll post the URL anyway. :) I got my first hula hoop in the late 1950s and was quite the champ. Unfortunately, there are no photos documenting my prowess. Today I could wear one of my old hula hoops as a belt...haha

    http://blog.mid2mod.com/2012/02/back-in-day-hula-hoops.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! That's gold. I loved that post you wrote about the hula hoop. I remember watching the hudsucker proxy and completely forgot it was about the hula hoop. I'm going to see if I can get a copy to watch over the holidays. Xx

      Delete
  2. When I saw you IG feed it brought back memories of my childhood - yes I had one! At the time there was a HUGE hula-hoop craze - they came in a wide range of colours with matching smells. I had a pink one that smelled like strawberries. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I wish I had one growing up, I used to go to my friend's place and play with hers but it wasn't the same! Xx

      Delete
  3. that's excellent! ...i am totally getting a hula-hoop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fun. Make sure to get one that is as tall as your legs...there is a science to it apparently and your hoop should be sized according to your height. xx

      Delete
  4. I never knew it was such a technical skill! But, then, I was never very good at it either...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely not a natural either. The smaller the hoop the harder it is to rotate...needless to say my hoop is huge! Xx

      Delete
  5. Drink hula-hooping, that could be an Olympic sport. My Mum still has her cane one from childhood, it's huge (we've had lots of practice) Best wishes to you and Jason and your boys for Christmas. Enjoy the New Years celebrations as well. Have fun with the hoop, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much Simmone! I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas too! xxx

      Delete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails