Wednesday 26 February 2014

Top 3 makeover inspiration sources

Blog post brought to you by Cordell

Online information is my preferred source of design and room makeover inspiration while we have been renovating the Sow’s Ear these past four or so years.  And as much as I love design magazines and books, they are becoming slightly more obsolete for me (mostly because limited space becomes an issue with full bookshelves) now that there are more quality resources online.

Here are my top 3 go-to inspiration sources when planning a room makeover:

Blogs

Design and renovations blogs are a great and inexpensive way to obtain the information we need to tackle a project. I follow quite a few local Queenslander renovation blogs which have provided us a lot of food for thought when making choices about renovating the Sow’s Ear. West End Cottage and Walk Among the Homes have been some of my favourite local blogs and I am a huge fan of Desire to Inspire - a joint Australian/Canadian blog which showcases a diverse range of interiors and exteriors from around the globe.


The beauty of a design blog is that they are also interactive. You can always leave a comment or ask questions and the bloggers are generally very helpful.



Instagram

I have a big love affair with Instagram at the moment. It is an app which allows people to share photographs with each other. It is where I have been spending most of my online time lately because it’s a quick and easy way to get my interiors and renovation inspiration fix. I stalk quite a few local and international designers, architects and stylists as it seems most have built drool-worthy design portfolios through Instagram. My favourites are Brisbane local Kara Rosenlund (she owns a sweet Queenslander too) and Brisbane interior design firm Wrightson Stewart


With our next big renovation and restoration venture I can see myself spending even more time scrolling through everyone’s portfolio.

Pinterest

Pinterest is a handy online tool to use if you are renovating or sprucing up a home. Pinterest allows you to find and save inspiration images onto boards which you can share online. It’s like a virtual interior decorator mood board. You can set up your boards room by room and save the inspiration images you find on the internet that are relevant for your project. It’s a great way to organise your thought processes as you plan a renovation.


I’ve set up boards for particular rooms and even have a few boards dedicated to furniture and mid-century objects which I covet. Pinterest is extremely addictive though and I try to limit my time there as I could spend hours looking through design images!


So, those are my top three online places to go when planning a room makeover.  Where do you go to get your inspiration?

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for those links...I love them all...but I think I'm especially impressed with West End Cottage.
    Everything about the renovation is just perfect.
    Thanks again
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really late to the Pinterest party, but once I joined in the fun, I found it so helpful that I used it almost exclusively when building my secondary suite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention! I know I am personally inspired by each home I visit for Walk among the homes. I tend to change something around in my place after each visit or scour some op shops! It's becoming an occupational hazard! Best I don't speak of my Pinterest addiction! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Love to read your comments

Related Posts with Thumbnails